Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Little bit of heaven...little bit of hell

I've complained constantly about my stint here in Shawnee. Yes, I would prefer to live elsewhere and we all know where that elsewhere is. It is after all the only place I've found in Kansas to live and raise offspring, but there's something here that I'm going to miss terribly.

Monday after a long and cranky day at work (no one's fault) I came home and opened all of the windows. The sun started shining after a very long absence, and the temperature was perfect. The last window I opened was my bathroom window. This window has a great view of the woods, the neighbors' now huge pond, and the ten horses running on the pasture surrounding the pond. I've watched hawks, foxes, deer, possums, horses, dogs, cats, birdgalore, snowstorms, and rainstorms from this window.

When I opened the window a cool, sweet breeze blew in giving me what is the closest thing to a spiritual epiphany that I've ever had. The air was filled with birds and frogs and nothing else. There were no human sounds anywhere. The animals were alive and happy that the rain had let up, and the world was beautiful again. They were singing their hearts out.

I sat down. I breathed. I listened. I took all that clamor in.

I swear there's no heaven except after a storm when the euphoria that comes after sets in. That's the only heaven I've ever seen, and the only one that anyone can convince me of. I couldn't help smiling and was almost sad that I was moving.

Then I heard cars, lawnmowers, and the garage door opening. People were coming home from there daily commutes and starting up their noisy machines. I heard the proverbial record scratch. ugh. Time to go back to "life".

I love this place but hate it also. But I guess you can't have it perfect. That'd be heaven, and like I said I don't believe that place exists.

As an FYI…I don't believe in hell either…unless you count Crawford, Texas.

No comments: