Friday, November 11, 2005

I don't thank vets for my freedom. I thank Activists. Feminists in particular. Whatever, I'm a Woman! I know it sounds like I'm ungrateful, but in the last 50 years where's the IMMEDIATE threat? Yes, we had a cold war. Scary commies were the immediate threat. We were their IMMEDIATE threat. I heard a greatline in a R&B song..."I'll fight your war when I finish fighting mine". Women and other minorities still have got a lot of work to do. Within their prospective groups and outside them.

I don't think that conservatives are thinking logically, practically, or in long terms about problems. Most of what I hear from them is pure emotional reaction to uncomfortable ideas and attitudes. Gay marriage bans, abortion restrictions, religious encroachment in public schools and science standards, ridiculous conservative based punishments on personal matters(extra taxes or bans on stores that sell sex products and the sex entertainment industry), and willful blindness and disregard to problems in rural and urban areas all the while blaming the victim (sorry,...person).

I do care about vets by the way. I find it distasteful yet understandable that 25% of the homeless population are vets. Hmmm...what does that mean when you take into account the working poor and those about to become homeless that served US by placing their safety and lives on the backburner? Their reentry in civillian life, addictions, physical and mental problems SHOULD be handled in a more appropiate manner.

I do not think their's are the only shameful problems we have spotting up our pristine US. I do not think that they are the only ones that served US either. I'm raising the next generation. Guess what! I'm serving the US. The trashmen are serving the US! Damn it! FS brewers are serving the US! We all are! In someway or other we are all doing that.

So who is the most deserving of my respect and reverence? I have decided upon those people who ardently fought for social change and equality of my fellow sentient beings and faithfully lived those ideals thoughout their lifetimes. Goddess bless them all!

3 comments:

Rikki said...

yep, good post.

gb said...

Sing it sister. Nicely done.

I think Veterans Day is going to gain new significance in the coming years -- as we see the next wave of veterans coming back from Iraq suffering from many of the same psychological problems and social stigmas as the Vietnam veterans more than 30 years ago.

As you and I well know -- it's important to put the blame where it really lies. Not with the men and women serving our country -- believing that they are doing the right thing -- but the people in power who have taken advantage of their need for education and financial support, and encouraged them to believe that they are -- all the while keeping their fingers tied behind their backs.

The kind of deception that has been played out on this trusting population is deep and wide. And the government is currently making it that much harder for those of us in the business of trying to protect them, to continue doing so. I hope there really is a God to help them -- because I'm not sure how much longer we're going to be able to.

el.dude said...

Amen to all of it.

Good post and response, gb!