Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The love of money is the root of all evil. Or was that just love?

After a tiring day I come home to no lights and house sans everyone else. Yea! A night free of pestering old people and whiny young people. Say "hello" to my dog and proceed to look for my mail. Something shiny catches my eye and I investigate.

It appears to be a plastic gold coin with words and images on it. The side I see first has a dove with "peace, love, good will"....good liberal hippy shit. I flip it over. There's a picture of a person with the words "David slew Goliath". hunh? I flip it over "peace, love, good will". I flip it over "David slew Goliath".

I didn't read it wrong. It said that. It got me to thinking about the absurd "reality" in which my old folks live. The one where hate and destruction = divine love only a male desert god could provide. However my contemplation doesn't rest there, so I sit here still contemplating it. I turn the phrases over in my head. There are so many meanings that you can read into. But I can't escape the origin of the thing and that clouds whatever good message I could possibly get out of it.

The coin comes from their church as a way to entice young hapless victims into their belief system. Their church is very much a Fundamentalist/Zionist church where they're giddy for the destruction of the MidEast and the return of their Lord and the rapture (of course). Get them with promises of love and then burn hate into their little minds. Then call it good.

I just find the coincidence and irony of the object fascinating. While I was revulsing (is that a word?) in the monetary attempt at washing my children's brains and hearts, the JudyBat called home, screaming at me to deliver it and other fake church money to her church or risk never receiving any help from her ever again. I kid not about this. She actually threatened that.

I feel like the sane cityslicker from Green Acres that has to put up with low educated, bumpkin, crazies. I'm going for a glass of w(h)ine. Goodnight.

3 comments:

Rikki said...

So sorry lady. I spent 6 months living in my parents' basement when the kid was a baby. I pulled many a bonghit back then. ;-)

Megan Stuke said...

Wowsa. That's really something. I can't believe that little tidbit is REAL. WTF? David Slew Goliath? What's the underlying message here? Who is slaying who, metaphorically? And how does that realate to money, and then to peace and love and all that jazz?

Wowsa.

Anonymous said...

I think I missed the message here too. Wouldn't it make more sense to have a picture of Jesus overturning the tables of the money changers in the Temple? Or what about a picture of Joseph's brothers selling him to the Egyptians? It's good to be a Jew!