Sunday, December 17, 2006

Poisoned Bechemal

I love my mother, but she's crazy. She's making me crazy. She's made all my brothers crazy. And their wives and old girlfriends. My old boyfriends and PA would be inlcuded in that too.

I had dinner with her and the kiddos on Friday night. Her persistent whining and nagging prompted me to take her to a restaurant that I knew had great food, but had "elements" I knew she would find disturbing. We went to a Palestinian owned place. Muslim Palestinian not Christian. I have to make the distinction here because it's a small but important difference in that culture that I don't believe she knows about. She would be happy if they were all wiped off the planet so the Isrealis could take over completely thus expediating a jesus cameo.

Ok. Back to the story.

They (the restaurant) know me there and proceeded to give me my usual table. A family came in behind us. The regular "salaam" greeting between the host and the family followed while my mother looked on with apparant disgust that over the course of the evening grew into outright fear. I sat quietly giggling inside. I know, it's a sick humor that I have, but she's silly.

She kept staring at the family and the waitstaff and the decorations. Ooo. She was angered by a poster about Jerusalem that hung near our table. How dare they! I guess she forgot that these people lived there before the Jews and consider it just as holy, and she doesn't understand that it's a type of protection in very conservative predominantly Christian county.

I'm going back to the fear topic. She didn't look afraid just hateful, but I noticed she whispered "Praise Jesus. Thank you Jesus." while we waited for our food, she asked about the owner, about the arabic grocery store 2 doors down, whether or not they were jewish or muslim, and if that building down the street was a post office. I answered her Q's best I could and then ended it with a "Mom, there's the police station right across the street. You're safe." "Am I?" was her retort. Wow. If we were in Nazi Germany she would have been acting like this towards Jews. When the food came she picked it all apart and refused to eat anything that had a sauce on it.

I'm sorry, but all her actions stink of paranoia. Like she thinks they were trying to poison her or trick her mind with some muslim potion.

All these sides to the Great Human Drama, and I only get to view just this side. People people people. What are we to do with you?

2 comments:

leslie said...

The last time I shopped at the grocery two doors down from there, the owner came at me and yelled, "You shop like a bachelorette!" Think how your mom would have reacted to such a cryptic observation!

el.dude said...

Fear based living makes for a scary world for those who choose that path. I feel bad for your mom that she doesn't relax and enjoy the complexity, mystery and fun that is our messy beautiful planet.